This year we celebrate the 20th anniversary of the University Network for Asian Studies with seminars, workshops and student competitions!
The Finnish University Network for Asian Studies was established in 1996 and it has provided e-learning courses on Asia since 1999. The ”Asian Programme” study module has created the basis for the Asia expertise of Finnish University students. Until now, altogether 3 594 students have participated in the Programme. Master’s and doctoral courses taken into account, students have taken nearly 40 000 credits. Asia Network is one of the pioneers in digital education in Finland.
The goal of the Network is to complement and strengthen teaching, doctoral education and expert activities on Asia in the Network’s member universities. In addition, it aims to promote multidisciplinary cooperation and distribution of work among the universities in the Network. The Network also promotes international cooperation in particular with universities in the Asian region.
Currently, the Asia Network arranges online courses on Bachelor’s and Master’s level. In addition, it organizes annually Asian Studies Days, which provide a national platform for discussions and networking in Asian studies. In connection with the Asian Studies Days, the Network also organizes a doctoral seminar and a Master’s thesis workshop. During the Asian Studies Days, the Network presents Asian Studies Master’s Award to the author of an outstanding Master’s thesis, and publishes the annually updated catalogue “Academic Research Projects on Asia in Finland”. The Network actively disseminates information related to Asian studies and research for example via asianet-mailing list and social media. The Network also takes part in the discussions on science and education policy with regard to Asia.
The anniversary is celebrated with different events around Finland throughout the year.
- Anniversary Seminar at the University of Turku 18-19.2. Theme: “Education, Science and Equality in Asia”. Followed by a Doctoral Seminar.
- Student Event Grant Competition for the student organisations of Network’s member universities. Three 500€ grants are awarded to assist the organisatio of Asia-related student events in Finland. The winners are announced at the Anniversary Seminar 18.2.2016 in Turku.
- Asia-related photo competition for students. Starts in early May.
- Asian Studies Days in August 25-26 at the University of Jyväskylä. Theme of the conference is “Religion and Politics in Asian Societies”. In addition a doctoral seminar will be organised and the winner of the annual Master Thesis Award will be announced.
- Master thesis workshop October 7 at the University of Turku
For more information, please contact:
Outi Luova, Director of the University Network for Asian Studies, University Lecturer
Centre for East Asian Studies, University of Turku
tel. +358 2 333 5017