Chinese Education and Society (3 OR 5 ECTS)
Organiser: Faculty of Management and Business, Tampere University / University Network for Asian Studies
Time: Autumn 2019
Goals: The aim of course is to provide students understandings on Chinese education and education reforms in the context of Chinese historical traditions and contemporary societal transformation. The course targets both people who are interested in studying Chinese education and society, and those who are (potentially) engaged in education-related cooperation with Chinese institutions.
On successful completion of the module students will be able to:
- know the characteristic of Chinese education
- be aware of the relations between Chinese education and Chinese society
- to comprehend the on-going reforms in Chinese education and its role in the societal transformation,
- understand Chinese education from an internationally comparative perspective
- to be able to analyse issues and phenomena in Chinese education from both societal and international perspectives
- Introduction to Chinese education
- Chinese education reform and its societal changes
- The role of education in socio-economic transformation in China
- Understanding the social and cultural foundations of Chinese education through the mirror of Finnish education
- Analysis of issues and phenomena in Chinese education
Taken as: The course combines various online teaching methods such as web-based lectures, reading materials, assignments, and writing tasks.
Application: Application period for next course August 26 – September 15, 2019. Go to application instructions. This course has a maximum intake of 60 students. Students are selected in the order of application. The places are divided evenly between the member universities. Some universities may define quotas on the number of students who can take courses offered by the Asia Network. Information about the quotas is published before the application periods start.