Master’s level online courses offer advanced knowledge on Asia. Courses focus on political, social, cultural and economic issues of Asian countries. The Master’s level courses are aimed for students who have already acquired some knowledge about Asia or on the specialty of the particular course.
Structure of the Studies:
Master’s level courses are organised at different times throughout the year. Check the exact times from the page of each course. The application period is the same for all courses.
You can take Master’s level courses individually or combine them with the basic level courses to complete a Mini Minor in Asian Studies or you can include Master’s level courses in the Asian Programme. The Master’s level courses offered by the University Network do not constitute a study programme alone and therefore it is not possible to receive a minor degree by taking only Master’s level courses.
The intake for each Master’s level course is 40 students.
How to apply?
1. University students who hold a valid study right at one of the University Network’s member universities can take these courses for free (degree and exchange students). Just fill in the application form on our website during the application period.
Member universities are:
University of Helsinki
University of Jyväskylä
University of Tampere
University of Turku
University of Vaasa
Åbo Akademi University
2. Students at universities of applied sciences can take Master’s level courses for free if their school endorses the study fee. The fees are either 40€ / 1 ECTS or 350€/max 10 ECTS. You can either choose just individual courses or take the Mini Minor. Fee for not completed credits is 10€/ECTS. First confirm the endorsement of your study fees from your own institution with this letter of confirmation:(AP_puoltokirje_amk_syksy_2018_kevat_2019). Send it to the Coordination Unit of the University Network for Asian Studies before the application deadline. In addition, fill in the Asianet application form on Asianet-website before deadline.
3. Self-paying students (other individuals including students from non-member universities and students from universities of applied sciences whose school will not pay the study fee) who are interested in Asian studies can apply to the programme as independent students. With regards to non-Finnish citizens who apply to the Programme as self-paying students, the Network Board makes the decisions on admission case by case. The study fee for self-paying students is 250 € for (max. 10-16 ECTS). First, fill in the Asianet application form (from above) and identify yourself as a self-paying student in the questionnaire. Then, fill in this separate application form for non-degree studies at the University of Turku (hakemus_erillisiin_opintoihin verkostoversio 2018_final) and send it to ” Yhteiskuntatieteellisen tiedekunnan opintotoimisto “Asianet”20014 Turun yliopisto”. After the application period the Coordination Unit will send you instructions on how to pay the study fee to the University of Turku. Please pay the fee before the courses start.
When to apply?
- Next application period is in September 2019. Course selection has not been confirmed yet.
- Note: The applications for Introduction to Chinese Contemporary History and Introduction to Mongolian Politics and Society are open year-round.