Women and the Media in China (3 or 5 ECTS)
Language: English or Finnish
Time: Spring term 2020
Organizer: University of Tampere, Unit of Communication Sciences/Faculty of ITC/ University Network for Asian Studies
Goals: The aim of the course is to increase the awareness of students and other interested people about Chinese culture, society and the media field and the position of women in them.
Contents: The course includes the following sections:
- Chinese woman in history, culture and society
- Chinese media system and the historical role of women in the Chinese media system
- Women as media producers (media companies, social media, leadership)
- Women as consumers of media
- Women in Chinese news media content
- Women in the content of Chinese TV series & movies
- Gender perspective in Chinese media study
Taken as: video lectures and essays (2 ECTS), literature reviews and media analysis (3 ECTS).
Application period : November 4-24, 2019. Go to application instructions. This course has a maximum intake of 60 students. Students are selected in the order of application. The places are divided evenly between the member universities. Some universities may define quotas on the number of students who can take courses offered by the Asia Network. Information about the quotas is published before the application periods start.