Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I am not a student in one of the Network universities. Can I still participate in the Network's teaching?
You can take our courses in two additional ways: 1) as self-paying student, and 2) in case of some courses, through the Open university at the University of Turku. More information on this page.
2. Is it possible to complete the Network courses from abroad?
You may do the studies abroad but you have to make sure yourself that you have access to the obligatory course materials and that your internet connection functions well enough. In general, Finnish university students have the possibility to access their home university library databases from abroad. However, access to Finnish library databases may be restricted by censorship policies of some countries. Some books may be difficult to find outside Finland. Exam times are in Finnish time. You must also make sure that you are enrolled in your home university while completing the studies abroad.
See Study Guide.
3. Can I take the courses when I am working full-time?
Yes you can, provided that you have a valid study right. Please note that the courses are time-consuming.
4. What does an ”online home exam” mean? Where are these exams? Are there any specific exam times?
An online home exam may be completed anywhere you wish – in your home or in a library. An online home exam has fixed starting and ending times. The exam starts when the exam questions are published on the course web site in the morning (Finnish time). For an exam answer to be accepted it needs to be returned according to instructions before the exam time finishes.
See Study Guide.
5. I am an exchange student. Can I complete a minor in Asian Studies after my exchange period in Finland?
This is not possible. You can only take our courses as long as you have a valid study right at a member university of the Finnish University Network for Asian Studies.
6. Which courses have I already taken in the Asian Studies Programme?
Please track your own courses registration from UTU Peppi credit registry. In order to do so, you need to activate your UTU user account.
Read more from the Study Guide.
7. I have already taken some Asianet courses last year. Do I have to register again for this year?
Yes. Acceptance into a course expires at the end of the course. You need to apply to courses each academic term.
8. In what language do I answer the exam questions or write the essays?
If the answer to this question remains unclear after reading the specific course instructions, please ask the teacher of that specific course.
9. How are credits from the courses transferred to my own degree? Is it automatic?
Credits are not transferred to your own degree automatically.
See Study Guide for more information.