Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I am not a student in one of the Network universities. Can I still participate in the Network's teaching?

Some of the courses are available through the Open University channel. Please check each course site whether the course you are interested in is available in one of the Open Universities.

2. Is it possible to complete the Asian Studies Programme in two years or more?

This is possible but we recommend that you take as many courses as possible during your first year. You need to register to the programme again each semester. Please note that the selection of available advanced level courses changes annually.  

3. Is it possible to complete the Network courses from abroad?

You may do the studies abroad but you have to make sure yourself that you find the necessary materials and your internet connection functions accordingly. The coordination unit cannot guarantee those. University students in general have the possibility to access their home university library databases from abroad but some books may be difficult to find outside Finland. Exam times are in Finnish time. You must also make sure that you are enrolled in your home university while completing the studies abroad.
See Study Guide.

4. Can I take the courses when I am working full-time?

Yes you can, provided that you are registered as present in your home university or are taking the courses through the Open University channel. Please note that the courses are time-consuming.

5. What does an ”online home exam” mean? Where are these exams? Are there any specific exam times?

An online home exam may be completed anywhere you wish – in your home or in a library. You only need to return your answer within the given exam time according to instructions. These exams are not held in any physical space; each student may write their answers where they wish.  An online home exam has a starting time. This is when the exam questions are published on the course web site. For an exam answer to be accepted it needs to be returned according to instructions before the exam time finishes. See study guide

6. I am an exchange student. I will return back to my home country while the Asian Studies programme is still running. Can I finish the programme from home?

This is not possible. You can take the courses in the Asian Studies Programme as long as you are in Finland on exchange.

7. Which courses have I already taken in the Asian Studies Programme?

Ask the Programme Organiser. See contact information. Or track your own courses registration from UTU Nettiopsu credit registry. In order to do so, you need to activate your UTU user account. Read more from the Study Guide.

8. I have already taken some courses of the programme last year. Do I have to register again for this year?

Each academic semester you have to register again. Also old students must register again.

9. In what language do I answer the exam questions or write the essays?

If the answer to this question remains unclear after reading the specific course instructions, please ask the teacher of that specific course.

10. How are credits from the courses transferred to my own degree? Is it automatic?

Credits are not transferred to your own degree automatically. See study guide for more information.